Mouton is a hamlet in Monmouthshire, south east Wales, located two miles west of Chepstow in a rural setting. The parish was originally part of the holdings of Chepstow Priory, with the name Monkton. St Andoenus Church, Mounton is located between the lane and a wooded cliff on the south side of Mounton, within the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The church has disabled access but there are no toilets.
First Sunday of the Month: 10.15am - Book of Common Prayer Eucharist (CiW 1984)
Second Sunday of the Month: 10.15am - Book of Common Prayer Eucharist (CiW 1984)
Third Sunday of the Month: 10.15am - Book of Common Prayer Eucharist (CiW 1984)
Fourth Sunday of the Month: 10.15am - Book of Common Prayer Eucharist (CiW 1984)
Fifth Sunday of the Month: Alternates between Shirenewton, St. Pierre, Mounton & Mathern - see noticeboards
Services may also be held on key Feast Days & during Holy Week
Rector - Rev'd Julian E Ll. White - 01291 622317, The Vicarage, Mathern, NP16 6JA
LLM, LEM & Vicar's Warden - Lynne Brierley - 01291 621778
People’s Warden - Teresa Munting - 01291 624585
Church in Wales Page: Visit the page »
Address: St Andoenus, Mounton, Chepstow, NP16 6JA
The church is dedicated to St Andoenus, who has been identified by some with St Owen, and by others as an obscure Greek saint. It has been suggested that St Owen was initially a 7th Century French scribe, but became Bishop of Rouen and Chancellor to three French monarchs. He is represented in the grouped parish logo by the quill of the scribe.
The church was wholly rebuilt in 1880 to designs of architect Walter Evill of Chepstow. The church nave and chancel were built contemporaneously in 1880 and the north vestry was added a short time later.The furnishings in the sanctuary are mainly a memorial to Captain Ian Oswald Lidell, VC, 5th Batallion Coldstream Guards, who was killed in action in 1945. The stained glass windows are memorials to the Evill and Bragington families. The stained glass includes works by Reginald Bell (1933), MF Farrar Bell (1962) and Celtic Studies (1979).
One of the gravestones, to a Christopher Cooper who died on 8th April 1680,indicates that the churchyard is much older than the present church building. It is believed that the current building lies on the ancient site of a monk’s cell, from the Middle Ages.