First Sunday of the Month: 6.30pm - Eucharist (2004)
Third Sunday of the Month: 6.30pm - Cafe Church
Services may also be held on key Feast Days
The land on which the church now stands was granted to Tintern Abbey at the time of the Normal invasion, the monks cleared the area to become the parish of Newchurch. In 1291 that land was given to Roger Bidgod in exchange for land at Woolaston. He provided the church of St. Peter’s.
The church is 800 ft. above sea level and commands fantastic views of the Bristol Channel and beyond to the Cotswold scarp.
The nave and chancel with lean-to vestry of this church were rebuilt and enlarged, designed by J.P.Seddon in 1864. The restoration has left a late medieval North doorway and porch, a squat 14th. Century West Tower with battlements, a string course and a south east stair turret.
The bell, in the bell tower was cast in 1918. The inscription reads “Praise to the holiest in the heights”. This bell and iron frame were donated by Shirenewton to St. Peter’s in 1997 to replace the single cracked bell from 1716.
The octagonal font is believed to be the original from the 12th. Century.
The church is built completely of course red sandstone, the roofs are tiled with coped gables. The medieval work is in coursed rubble with dressed corner blocks. The church is built on a plinth and comprises a nave, a separate chancel with a vestry with a large chimney on the south side, a west tower and a north porch.
The nave has two and three light decorated windows with trefoil heads to the lights. The chancel has three small windows and a two light East window with a roundel above. The East window was donated in 1931 in memory of Edward Curre, by his wife and depicts the adoration of the Magi with shepherds and the favourite white hound of Thomas Curre in the lights and the Virgin Mary and child in the roundel above.
The three-stage tower, with a blocked west entrance arch, has a small north ground level window, a blocked window on the second stage and on each third stage face only the west small belfry opening is louvred, the upper tower door was replaced in 2017.
There are a variety of tombs and memorials in the graveyard. The areas set aside for the burial of cremated remains was created in 2017.